Thursday, December 3, 2009

If only...

"Why are we not more fruitful? Is it God's fault? We tell ourselves, 'If only I had more time, if only I had a better wife/husband, if only I were married, if only my job weren't so demanding, if only I had more money, I'd really live for the Lord.' We tell ourselves, 'If only we had contemporary music in our church, if only we'd keep that contemporary music out of our church, we'd be the church we ought to be.' 'If only this, if only that...' These are all excuses. At bottom each one implies a criticism of God, as if he hasn't already given us all we need to live well for him. 'His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence...' (2 Peter 1:3)." - Isaiah: God Saves Sinners, Ray Ortlund Jr., pg 67.

No comments: